Структура и типология осложненного предложения.
I. Проанализируйте следующие сложноподчиненные предложения с точки
зрения категориальной классификации. Определите тип придаточных
(субстантивные, квалификативные, адвербиальные):
1. That his letters remained unanswered annoyed him very much.
2. Did you find a place where we could make a fire?
3. The woman knew only too well what was right and what was wrong.
4. Describe the picture as you see it.
5. The man who came in the morning left a message.
6. All will be well if we arrive in time.
II. Проанализируйте следующие сложноподчиненные предложения с точки
зрения функциональной классификации. Определите тип придаточных
(субъектные, предикативные, объектные, атрибутивные и
1. Wainright said that Eastin would periodically report to him.
2. Why he rejected the offer has never been accounted for.
3. It is a miracle how he managed to pull through.
4. The trouble is that I don’t know Fanny personally.
5. We couldn’t decide whom we should address.
6. At last we found a place where we could make a fire.
7.You talk to people as if they were a group.
8. We lived here in London when the war ended.
9. The swimmers gathered where the beach formed a small promontory.
10. Mr. Smith looked at me in a way that put me on the alert.
11. The swimmers kept abreast of one another from where they started.
12. We had lived in London all through the war until it ended.
13. As (while) the reception was going on, Mr. Smith was engaged in a lively
conversation with the pretty girl.
14. He opened the window wide that he might hear the conversation below.
15.Unless he wanted to hear the conversation below he wouldn’t open the
16. As he wanted to hear the conversation below, he opened the window wide
17. Though he couldn’t hear properly the conversation below, he opened the
window and listened.
18. The voices were so low that he couldn’t hear the conversation through the
III. Определите тип семантических отношений между составными частями в
следующих сложносочиненных предложениях.
1. Suddenly the door burst open, and a tall man was standing in a quite baggy
2. You see there is nothing seriously wrong, she just gets a bit paranoid
3. I bent down when she got near and she put her arm round my neck and
pressed her little hot face against mine.
4. Jerome’s sensing his poems are ready, so I’m finding him book club venues.
5. Young Ladislaw did not feel like smiling, but she wore rather a pouting
air of discontent.
6. He does not hold a regular job, nor does he take odd jobs.
7. Either she goes or I go.
8. I don’t eat much, yet I am a size 16.
9. Formula One motor car racing is supposed to be dangerous, still “Indycar”
racing is supposed to be more dangerous.
10. She was free for five whole days, and so she would be going to Charles, to
join her family.
11. Martin helped his father dig the water gardens out by hand, thus he
discovered his interest in gardening.
12. The superadded circumstance evolving the genius had not yet come;
the universe had not yet beckoned.
13. Ben did not hear the answer, he felt himself fading again.
14. Mr. Casaubon’s words had not been quite reasonable, yet they had brought a
vague sense of aloofness on his part.
IV. Проанализируйте структуру следующих осложненных предложений и
укажите, к какому типу они относятся:
1. She grabbed hold of my arm and changed direction back towards Cosmo,
only to be confronted by Mark and Rebecca.
2. “Mark”, said Constance sulkily, looking from side to side as if planning to
3. The three of them made their good-byes, Mark and Elaine easing the admiral
out of the door.
4. Sharon and I have just got back to our hut to find our padlock open.
5. We all looked at each other, stunned at this strange act of the heavens.
6. Across the garden was Jude, radiant in turquoise, chatting to Magda.
7. Then I turned to see Mark Darcy walking away.
8. Giles went on and on about sending me a copy of Feel the Fear and Do It
9. Mark was at the head of the table, sitting between Rebecca and Louise
Barton-Foster and deep in conversation.
10. She still wanted me and Shaz to be bridesmaids.
V. Определите тип следующих осложненных предложений с
1. That ritual over, he was flown to Tbilisi for the second stage of
2. The other option is taking the metro to the station A.
3. The food is served in ceramic dishes manufactured at the local factory.
4. Being a pedestrian in Moscow is a dangerous thing now.
5. It is not uncommon to see them racing down sidewalks.
6. We wouldn’t dream of driving with a mobile in one hand and a Big Mac in
7. We could stop carving up the wildlife in the futile effort to accommodate
the endless traffic jams.
8. There would be the question of where to park all those horses in the center
9. Disillusioned with the celebrity world, Rosy escapes to run a refugee camp
in the African desert.
10. She found many things strange here.
Тема: Текст как объект лингвистических исследований.