1. Any change in the normal bedding of a seam (fault or fold) is called a....
2. Coal seams may be structurally ... by faulting or folding.
3. Folds ... coal seams without a break and sometimes faults ... them with a break.
33. Определите число выделенных существительных:
these men; 25 feet, natural phenomenon; their analyses; higher educational establishments; coal stratum; new formula; these apparatuses; the data of investigations
34. Прочитайте предложения, найдите в них -ing-формы. Скажите, как они называются и в какой функции употреблены в предложении. Переведите предложения.
1. Coal beds may consist of different bands of varying thickness.
2. Laser is used in mining. This is a more recent development replacing theodolites in surveying.
3. Speaking about the future of coal, it is necessary to note the production of liquid fuels such as gas and oil from coal.
35. Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на перевод -teg-форм. Как называются эти формы? Каковы нх функции?
а)1. The highest output of coal excluding seams of 6° to 15° is got from thick seams.
2. The ventilation air flowing through the mine has been greatly increased.
3. It should be noticed that the theory of prospecting and ex ploration is a link connecting specialists in two fields of mining: the exploration geologist and the mining engineer.
4. Folds, faults and fissures influencing the distribution and lo calization of mineralization are observed in practically all ore fields.
6)1. Minerals and rocks are subjected to a process of constant development depending on geological conditions.
2. Studying and exploring deep deposits, it is important to es-
156_____________________________________________ Unit 6
tablish the relation between the structures of different sequences (последовательность) controlling their localization.
3. Geophysical methods sometimes make it possible to deter mine the thickness of iron ore deposits, and under favourable con ditions even to establish the composition of the ores as well, thereby decreasing the number of exploratory openings to a minimum.
4. Depending on the structural conditions, there are several types of ore fields.
в)1. Studies of intrusive dykes are most important when investigating the structure of ore field and establishing the genesis of the deposit.
2. While studying at the engineering institutes, every student is to go through practical training at mines, open-pits, quarries or dressing plants.
3. When making the geological map, the geologists study all the data of ground and aerial geological surveys.
36. Выразите несогласие и подтвердите свою точку зрения фактами из текста Б. Используйте предлагаемые разговорные формулы:
to my mind; In my opinion; on the contrary; I'd like to say a few words about; it seems to be wrong; it is quite obvious that; as for; as I know
1. Lignite is a high-rank coal, containing about 90 per cent of carbon. It is slightly liable to spontaneous combustion.
2. Bituminous coals cannot be stored in open piles. These coals are primarily used for domestic purposes.
3. Anthracites are soft coals being used mainly for metallurgical purposes. In future coal will be used only for domestic purposes.
37. Суммируйте содержание текста Б, используя следующие слова и выражения:
coal ranks; carbon and volatile matter content; moisture content; heat effect; liability to spontaneous combustion; coking quality; the use of different types of coal in industry
38. Подготовьте сообщение на тему:
Different types of coals and their comparison with each other (for example, lignite and anthracite or anthracite and brown coal, etc.), their carbon content, heat value, liability to spontaneous combustion and the use of each grade of coal.
39. Расскажите, что вы знаете об угольных пластах (рис. 3 и 4). В своем рассказе дайте ответы на следующие вопросы:
1. What do Figures 3 and 4 show?
2. What figure shows the seam which consists only of coal bands?
3. Is the coal seam (Fig. 3) horizontal or inclined?
4. Is the shape of the seam typical of igneous rocks or sedimen tary rocks? What do you know about the structure of sedimentary rocks?
5. Can you explain why the coal seam shown in Fig. 4 is called complex? What does the seam consist of?
6. What mineral substances may separate coal beds? What do we call them?
7. What is thicker, coal bands or rock partings?
Прочитайте текст В и кратко передайте его содержание по-русски.
l.For along time coal has been the principal fuel, the main source of thermal and electric energy. Now it continues to play an important part in the economy.
2. Coal is the product of vegetable matter that has been formed from the remains of plants and animals accumulated in swamp areas millions of years ago. Although some coals were deposited 4,000,000,000 years ago during the Silurian period, most coals were formed during the Upper and Lower Carboniferous geological epochs about 250,000,000 years ago.
3. Coal formation processes are similar to those of sedimentary rocks. Various coal seams can be studied and related geologically to the sedimentary rocks with which they are associated. Coal contains varying amounts of carbon and volatile material as well as impurities such as sulphur, phosphorus, incombustible rock material and moisture.
4. The physical characteristics of coal concern the structural aspects of the coal bed and texture. Structurally coal beds are charac terized by the same irregularities in thickness, uniformity and continuity as other strata of sedimentary origin. Thickness varies greatly. Coal beds may consist of essentially uniform continuous
158_____________________________________________ Unit 6
strata or like other sedimentary deposits may be made up of bands or benches of varying thickness. The benches may be separated by thin layers of clay, shale, pyrite or other mineral matter, commonly called partings. Like other sedimentary rocks coal beds may be structurally disturbed by folding and faulting.
5. Many classifications of coal have been suggested: by geologic age, coking properties, commercial application and chemical composition.
6. There exist four main types of coal: anthracite, bituminous, subbituminous, lignite and brown coal. When speaking about the classification of coal based on its nature as rock mineral, scientists distinguish (различать) the following rock varieties or lithotypes such as vitrain, clarain, durain and fiisain. These are the four constituents (составная часть) of coal.
7. Although the utilization of coal varies widely with rank, three general fields of coal utilization may be distinguished. They are combustion (domestic, industrial, railroads and public utilization), gasification and carbonification (high-temperature coke for metallurgical uses and low-temperature coke for producing smokeless fuel).
41. ») В каждом абзаце текста В найдите предложение, передающее его основную мысль.
6) Укажите, • каком абзаце текста В идет речь о структурной характеристике угла.
42. Расскажите содержание текста В, используя следующие вопросы:
1. What has coal been formed from?
2. What rocks can coal be related to?
3. What does coal contain?
4. What is the structural characteristic of coal?
5. What factors can the classification of coal be based on?
6. What is the role of coal in the national economy of Russia?
43. Определите, который из четырех заголовков наиболее соответствует содержанию текста В:
1. The Origin of Coal.
2. The Classification of Coal.
3. Coal as Fossil Fuel.
4. Coal and Its Industrial Application.
44. Расскажите, что нового вы узнали из текста В. Какие факты вам были уже известны?
Unit 6______________________________________________ 159
ДИСКУССИЯ Энергия и жизнь
Для успешного участии в дискуссии вам необходимо ознакомиться с содержанием статьи и использовать вашу эрудицию по обсуждаемой проблеме.
Слова для понимания текста:
hearth[ha:6] — камин to cope with— справляться с ...
Coal was the dominant form of energy used in the UK for over a century. Coal was plentiful and cheap. It has a variety of uses:
• fuel for steam engines,
• fuel for homes, factories and offices,
• the production of gas,
• the production of chemicals.
British homes were designed to cope with coal. Near the back door would be the coal bunker. There were open hearths on which coal and wood fires were burnt.
Open coal fires look very attractive, but they have many problems. Coal is dirty, heavy and difficult to use. Rooms can fill with smoke when a door is opened. When the fire is finished, soot and ash are left.
Alternative forms of energy have become widely available in the UK since the 1960s. Oil, gas and electricity provide most of the country's energy. It is not all bad news for coal, however, because it is still the most important fuel used to generate electricity. New cleaner methods of using coal to heat houses have been developed.
Oil, gas and electricity are much cleaner and easier to use than coal. The price of the different forms of energy is also an important factor:
• During the 1960s oil and gas became cheaper while the price of coal rose. Demand for coal fell dramatically.
• In 1973/74 the Oil Crisis made oil much more expensive. Gas and coal were cheaper. Gas took a larger share of the energy market as the North Sea gasfields were developed. There was even a revival in the use of coal. This was reinforced by the great oil price increases of 1979/80.
' In 1986 oil became much cheaper. Demand for coal fell • again.
Price and ease of use have been the major factors affecting the changing energy demand in the UK in the last forty years. In the future the exhaustion of energy sources will become important. The world's oil supplies may not last more than another forty years. Much of the world's oil and gas is located in areas which have suffered conflict, such as the Middle East. Supplies may be cut off from the UK for political reasons, as they were, briefly, during 1956 and 1973. Home energy source, of which coal is the largest, will then become more important for the UK again.
Past experience shows that there are no certainties in demand for energy within the UK. The future may hold many changes.