Doctors and Types of Treatment
2. general practitioner (GP)
4. the ear, nose & throat specialist
6. brain surgeon
7. neurologist (nerve-specialist)
12. family doctor
13. lab technician / assistant
14. nurse, district nurse
· chemist; chemist’s (shop) (Br.)
· drugstore (Am.)
· to examine a patient
· to receive a patient
· to track down smb.’s disease
· case history
· to be registered with a doctor
· to get smb. to a consultant
· medical check up
· to be given periodical checks
· to make a diagnosis
· to undress / strip to the waist
· to listen with a stethoscope
· to check one’s lungs / heart
· to sound one’s chest / lungs
· to breathe deeply
· to check / measure blood pressure
· to bear one’s arm to the elbow
· to check ears and throat for infection
· to do a test
· blood test (count)
· to have one’s blood counted
· blood typing
· Rh factor
· to do tests for kidney infection
· to test smb. for smth. (e.g. starch)
· to take an X-ray; to be X-rayed; a chest
· X-ray plates; X-ray negatives
· to be operated (on) for smth.
· to undergo an operation
· major surgery
· the operation is vitally important
· plastic operation
· lifted face
· to remove a tumour
· pregnancy; to be pregnant
· to deliver a child; delivery
· maternity leave
· premature child
· routine check-up
· health insurance certificate
· doctor’s stamp
· to send to hospital
· to land up in hospital
· to stay in bed
· to send smb. before a board of doctors
· sick-leave; to write a sick-leave
· to prescribe a diet; to write out a diet
· to be restricted to a diet
· to keep to a diet; to follow a diet strictly
· to look after digestion
· to nip the disease in the bud
· a course of medical treatment
· a home treatment
· a hospital treatment
· a light treatment
· a foot-bath
· a sun-bath
· What do you complain of?
· What’s wrong with you?
· What’s troubling (bothering) you?
· What disturbs (ails) you?
· Have you any pain in the back of your head?
· Have you any appetite?
· Have you a bitter taste in you mouth?
· Can you bear a little more?
· How long have you been this way?
· Have you any sensation of nausea
· Have you been laid up with anything?
· Have you had any major operations?
· When did you have your tonsils and adenoids removed?
· There’s nothing much wrong with you
· It will pass
· Your lungs are sound
· Your pulse is normal (high)
· You exposed yourself too much to the sun
· The skin is all off your back
· You have been in the family way for about three months
· You are big (great) with a child
· I shall prescribe you a necessary treatment
· I shall make out a medical certificate
· There may be complications