Misha: You haven't forgotten we are going sightseeing today?
Colin: Of course not. What will be the starting point of our sightseeing?
Misha: Red Square and the Kremlin. I think it is he most interesting place in Moscow.
Colin: When was it built?
Misha: You see, Moscow began with the Kremlin. And it was founded in 1147.
Colin: I was told that the Kremlin had been rebuilt many times.
Misha: Yes, it was. Originally the Kremlin was a fortress.
Colin: I see, its walls are very high and thick. What is the biggest tower of the Kremlin?
Misha: Spasskaya. It often serves as a symbol of the country. We can hear the bells of the clock on the radio.
Colin: Just like Big Ben in London. Shall we go inside the Kremlin?
Misha: Of course we shall. You'll see many interesting things there.
Colin: OK. Let's go.
Answer the questions
1. What is the capital of Russia?
2. When was Moscow founded?
3. Who founded Moscow?
4. What do you know about Yuri Dolgoruky?
5. What city was the capital of Russia before the 16th century?
6. What city was the centre of the struggle of Russian lands for the liberation from the Tartar yoke?
7. When did Moscow become the capital of the state?
8. When was the capital moved to St. Petersburg? Who decided to do it?
9. What city of Russia became the main target of Napoleon's attack in 1812?
10. What part of Moscow was destroyed by fire during Napoleon's occupation?
11. When was Moscow completely restored?
12. When did Moscow become the capital again?
13. Where is Moscow situated?
14. What is the total area of modern Moscow?
15. What is the population of Moscow?
16. What is the heart of Moscow?
17. What tower is the symbol of Russia?
18. What old cathedrals and historical monuments are there on the territory of the Kremlin?
19. When was St. Basil's Cathedral built?
20. What legend about the creation of St. Basil's Cathedral do you know?
21. How many museums are there in Moscow?
22. What are the most famous and largest Moscow museums?
23. What Moscow theatre is one of the best theatres of the world?
24. Moscow is the centre of political life of Russia, isn't it? Why?
Москва... как много в этом звуке Для сердца русского слилось! Как много в нем отозвалось! Вот, окружен своей дубравой, Петровский замок. Мрачно он Недавнею гордится славой. Напрасно ждал Наполеон, Последним счастьем упоенный, Москвы коленопреклоненной С ключами старого Кремля: Нет, не пошла Москва моя К нему с повинной головою. Не праздник, не приемный дар, Она готовила пожар Нетерпеливому герою.
Moscow... how many strains are fusing in that one sound, for Russian hearts! what store of riches it imparts! Here stands, with shady park surrounded, Petrovsky Castle; and the fame in which so lately it abounded rings proudly in that sombre name. Napoleon here, intoxicated with recent fortune, vainly waited till Moscow, meekly on its knees, gave up the ancient Kremlin-keys: but no, my Moscow never stumbled nor crawled in suppliant attire. No feast, no welcome-gifts -- with fire the impatient conqueror was humbled!