Помощь в ✍️ написании работы
to provide equality of opportunity a wide/challenging curriculum
public/private schools to select subjects/electives
elementary/secondary school a school/academic year
junior/senior high school a catchment area
a Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior a transcript
general intellectual and social development vocational training
extracurricular activities completions of assignments
to repeat the year, course to appoint the superintendent
a board of education/a school board a tracking system/tracking
the PSAT (preliminary) admission process
the SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) specific religious affiliation
the ACT (the American College Testing program)
1. Pupils who do not do well in class might have to … .
2. The great variety of American schools allow … for every child.
3. … exam can be taken two or three times (in the 11th and 12th grades).
4. … is the practice of dividing students into separate classes, depending if the student is high, average, or low achievers.
5. The … and ACT are the most common standardized tests that students take when applying to college.
6. The American … traditionally begins in August or September.
7. Members of the ninth grade are called … .
8. In … school, basic subjects are taught.
9. Students in most areas have a choice between free tax-funded public schools, or privately-funded … schools.
10. Students take a certain number of mandatory subjects, as well as ….
11. Private schools are for gifted students, or students with specific … .
12. Public school district … is selected by a school board of a local school district.
8.Paraphrase the following sentences using the Topical Vocabulary on schooling in the USA.
1. Common types of additional subjects chosen by students are fine arts, foreign languages, vocational training.
2. Secondary education is provided by state-sponsored and private schools.
3. During high school, students (usually in 11th grade) may take a standardized test in mathematics and verbal ability.
4. In most districts, a special locally elected school committee runs schools.
5. Special records that summarize the courses taken are normally submitted to
colleges when the student applies for admission.
6. A chief school administrator is selected by a school board of a local school district.
7. The SAT and ACT are the most common standardized tests that students take when applying to college.
8. Privately-funded schools are generally provided through student tuition, endowments, scholarship funds, and donations and grants from religious organizations or private individuals.
9. Educational activities not falling within the scope of the regular curriculum are rather popular in the US schools.
10. The set of courses taught at school, and their content vary widely from district to district in the United States.
9.Dothe multiple-choice task.Choose the best answer.
1. There is a(n) … at the back of the book giving the answers to the exercises.
a) appendix b) index c) key d) reference
2. No one helped Tracy to do her homework; she did it … .
a) all by herself b) by all herself c) by herself all d) herself all
3. I can’t find any logical … between these two sentences.
a) bond b) chain c) link d) tie
4. For tomorrow, I’d like you to read pages 25 to 38 … .
a) excluded b) exclusive c) included d) inclusive
5. My teacher never … my mistakes to me.
a) explains b) exposes c) marks d) reveals
6. There are a lot of mistakes in your homework, I’ll have to … again with you.
a) come through b) go over c) instruct d) pass
7. When I was at school we had to learn a poem … every fortnight.
a) by ear b) by eye c) by heart d) by mouth
8. I can’t make anything … his writing.
a) from b) in c) of d) out
9. It’s no good … me of giving the wrong answer!
a) accusing b) blaming c) criticizing d) scolding
10. Isn’t it … time you started your homework, Gilbert?
a) about b) good c) past d) the
11. I have been working since this morning, and I am absolutely … .
a) destroyed b) down c) exhausted d) tired
12. It’s vital that the students’ handwriting be … .
a) illiterate b) legible c) legitimate d) literate
10. Put each of the following words from the box into its correct place in the passage below. Each word may be used only once.
school kindergarten gifted description progress instruct teaching classrooms
abilities cognitively basic variation
Доверь свою работу ✍️ кандидату наук!
Поиск по сайту: