It was founded at the end of the XIX century as a merchant garden. The central ornament of the modern park is the monument of Friendship of peoples, devoted to reunion of Ukraine with Russia. The monument is represented with the huge arch, as a metal rainbow in diameter of 30m, under which there is a fountain, bronze figures of workers and the granite sculptures of participants of Pereyaslavska Council in 1654. Behind the monument the viewing platform to the Dnipro and the left part of the city is located.
In times of Yaroslav the Wise Kyiv was enclosed with high shaft (the height of which was of 14 m, the thickness was about 25 m, the length was of 3,5 kms). At that time three gates were conducting into the city: Lviv, Liadsky and front Golden Gate. Golden Gate was founded under order of Yaroslav the Wise in 1037. There is a set of legends and retellings why the gate has received such name. Some people say that main entry of the city was named like it was in Tsar-city, with which Kyiv was constantly contesting. Others were saying that it was necessary to pay duty in a few golden coins. It is considered also that sheets copper, which shone brightly on the sun to avoid damages, protected a wooden gate. Gate has served as a powerful protective construction. Roadway of a gate reached 12 m in height and 6,5 m in width. There was a church of the Annunciation with the gilt dome, which also played a role of watchtower over the gate. Nomads repeatedly stolen up to the city, but could not force Golden Gate. Khan Batiy could not go through, too. He has come in Kyiv through less strengthen Liadsky Gate and then from the middle side of the city he has destroyed Golden Gate. In XVIII century military engineer Danylo Debosket has offered to cover it up with the ground of its’ preservation. But time has made the business and when in 1832 archeologist-enthusiast Kindrat Lokhvytsky has opened an ancient burial place, there was a little that remained from the gate. To keep the gate from full destruction, there were strengthen by metal cross-crosswise drawing tights, and Eastern part has been propped up by rounded brick buttress. However, the gate continued to be scattered under action of atmospheric influence. In 1982 the pavilion, which could protect the gate from influence of a climate, was built.