1. My brother____ (do) a degree at university so I _____ (see) him very often, unfortunately.
2. Darren usually ______ (get) home until about eight o'clock.
3. I’m sorry to hear that your parent ______ (get) divorced.
4. You _____ (go) to the end of the street and ______ (turn) right.
5. Why ice _____ (float)?
6. It’s lovely now the evenings ______ (get) longer, isn't it?
7. My dad _______ (eat) meat at all he’s a vegetarian.
8. Actually, we _______ (listen) to The Libertines at all - this is Pete Docherty’s second band, Babyshambles.
9. A man ______(walk) into a bar. Ouch! Not a good idea to walk into an iron bar!
10. _____ you ______ (phone) me from your mobile? The line’s not very good.
11. _______ you often _______ (order) things online?
12. There’s an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman. They ______ (walk) across the desert when one of them ____________ (spot) a camel in the distance .
13. Beckham ______ (have) control of the ball... It’s Beckham ... And he ______(score)!
14. WOMAN _______ (give) €500 MILLION LOTTERY WIN TO CHARITY!
15. My dad _______ (always / tell) jokes! They’re usually rubbish, though.
16. 'Phil _______ (wear) ties, does he?’ ‘Actually, he ______ (wear) a tie to work most days.'
Write one word in each gap.
1. Why do you _____ leave the light on when you go out ci the room? You wait till you start paying the electricity bill!
2. Fifteen teachers are teaching here full-time at _______ .
3. My sister's revising for her GCSEs at the ________ .
4. I’m quite happy living at home for the time _______ , but I guess I'll have to get my own place eventually.
5. It’s true that Ralph calls us quite _______ but most students only call their parents when they need something, don't they?
6. We go to the cinema ______ now and then, but only if there's something good on.
7. I’m alone in my study bedroom reading ______ of the time.
8. Tim ______ goes out to play until he’s done all his homework. I just don’t allow it!
9. I see Lucinda from _______ to time, but not on a regular basis.
10. I’m sitting in the garden _______ now talking to you on my mobile.
11. That’s the last _______ we're inviting Dave to one of our parties!
12. Do young people these _______ have more free time than they did in the past.
13. My mum fills up with petrol ______ she goes to the supermarket.
14. I'm staying in ______ now, but I might go out a bit later on.
15. _______ is the last time I ever order from that pizzeria. It was disgusting!
Write a verb from the box in the correct form, present simple or present continuous, in each gap. Use the words in brackets with the verb. Use contractions where possible. You can use the verbs more than once.
contact / do /drive /focus / go /happen / have /like / took /need /say /sound /take /think / try / work
Sandy: Hey, George! How's things? What (1) (you) _____________ ?
George: Hi, Sandy! Fine! (2) (I / just) ________ some research for that history project.
Sandy: (3) (how / it) _________ ?
George: Yeah, (4) (it / well) _________ thanks. The website (5) (I) _______ at now is very good. It's got loads of useful information.
Sandy: Great! Listen, the reason (6) (I) ________ you is that my (7) (mum)________ past the library every morning on the way to work, and (8) (she) _______ she can give you a lift tomorrow morning, if you like.
George: Wow, that's really kind of her, but actually (9) (it) _______ long to walk there from here, so (10) (she) _______ to worry. Can you thank her for me, though?
George: (11) (what) _______ with your project? (12) (you) _______ a title yet?
Sandy: No! (13) (I / even) ________ a topic yet! (14) (I / really) _______ on it it the moment, though. (15) (I) _______ to finish my physics project first.
George: Why (16) (you) _________ something on the Second World War? That's interesting.
Sandy: No, (17) (I) _______ wars! I'd rather do something (18) (that) ______ more on social history,
George: Like what?
Sandy: like the role of women in the Industrial Revolution.
George: (19) (that) ________ good.
Sandy: (20) (you) so? Okay. Maybe I'll do that, then.