TASK 17. Fill in the gaps with either infinitive or gerund using the verbs in brackets
1. I'll never forget _________ (to sail) down the Danube on that warm spring night last year.
2. Please don't forget ________ (to pay) the bill.
3. John says he remembers _________ (to buy) the newspaper, but now he can't find it.
4. Did you remember ________ (to post) my letters today?
5. Gloria regrets _________ (to laugh) at her sister.
6. I regret __________ (to inform) you that we cannot give you your money back.
7. The students went on __________ (to write) for another hour.
8. After cleaning the windows, he went on _________ (to wash) the car.
9. We are sorry __________ (to announce) that the 7:15 train to Liverpool has been cancelled.
10. I'm sorry for ________ (to miss) your birthday party; I'll make it up to you.
11. She stopped _________ (to go) to the gym after she had got back into shape.
12. They stopped _________ (to have) a rest before they continued their journey.
13. They tried _________ (to open) the door, but it was stuck.
14. You should try _______ (to make) your own clothes. It's much cheaper.
15. I'm sorry. I didn't mean _________ (to break) your vase.
16. Being a teacher means __________ (to mark) a lot of homework.
17. I like ________ (to tidy) my room at weekends because I don't have time during the week.
18. They like _________ (to play) in the sea on hot days.
19. Steve could remember __________ (to drive) along the road just before the accident happened, but he couldn’t remember the accident itself.
20. I now regret __________ (to say) what I said. I shouldn’t have said it.
21. We regret ___________ (to inform) you that we are unable to offer you the job.
22. Do you remember ___________ (to go) to the post office last Wednesday?
23. Some people find images easier ___________ (to remember) than words.
24. I must remember ___________ (to try) and phone Phil this evening. I've got a message for him.
25. The mother couldn’t help ___________ (to notice) how unhappy her daughter looked.
TASK 18. Paraphrase the sentences following the given model. Translate them into your mother tongue.
Model. We simply must accept her invitation to the party. = We can't help but accept her invitation to the party. = We can’t help accepting her invitation to the party.
1. We just must agree to their terms if we want this contract.
2. We really admired that young actress’s brilliant performance.
3. It was difficult for me not to smile when I saw her trying to look much older.
4. She just had to give the poor children a piece of bread.
5. It was impossible for the boy not to tell his mother the truth.
6. I had to drive the guests to the station though I didn’t want that very much.
7. I really feel sorry for John’s failure at the English exam; he worked so much during the term.
8. David just had to tell his aunt about what had happened in the park.
9. Helen just has to take part in that international contest.
10. It was impossible for the guests not to hear the quarrel between the hosts.
11. The old man simply had to accept the young couple’s help as he was not able to live alone.
Поиск по сайту: