1. At the age of 45, Jeremy Pitt resigned never to return to public life.
2. After the anonymous call, Belinda rushed home to find a thief exploring her house.
3. After the war was over, Derek returned from Europe to find his house ruined and his family gone.
4. The children woke up to find a cold stove and no food in the house.
5. Mr. Blackthorpe turned to Andrew only to discover that the young man was no longer there.
6. Edward thought that Mrs. Nelson was displeased with him but he looked up to find her smiling.
7. Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson came in time to hear Hugh fire the revolver.
8. Dorothy turned to see a stranger approaching her.
9. After his life of travellings and adventures he went home to die of a heart attack in his own bed.
10. Finally the company managed to produce the first artificial heart only to find that no one really needed it.
11. Susan stopped at the corner only to understand that she still had a long way to go on.
12. The mother tried to persuade her son not to drop out of school only to realize that she failed.
13. Pat opened her purse only to find that it was almost empty.
TASK 32. Paraphrase the sentences below usingadverbial modifiers of subsequent events. Follow the examples.
Example: Lotta tried to persuade Todd that he was wrong. Soon she realized that he was too stubborn to follow anyone’s advice. – Lotta tried to persuade Todd that he was wrong only to realize that he was too stubborn to follow anyone’s advice.
1. Mrs. Blackhurst made Laura call the police. She felt it was too late.
2. The teacher asked Helen's parents to come. She found out they had gone abroad on
3. Sally started to complain of severe pains in her back. Her husband wasn't sorry for
4. The child woke up. He saw that he was alone.
5. The burglar threatened the woman. He found she wasn't scared.
6. The young lawyer acted according to his moral principles. He realized that nobody cared for his opinion.
7. Jim approached the village. He heard a strange sound coming from the forest.
8. Peter joined the company of his new friends. He saw that he was unwelcome.
9. Iris left the house. She never returned there.
10. The old lady looked at Fanny’s face attentively. She saw that the girl resembled her mother.
11. George married Susan after all. He soon realized that they couldn't get along with each other.
12. The phone rang and Duncan entered the room. He found his wife talking with Eliza.
13. The police arrived almost immediately. They discovered that the criminal had