TASK 65. Use the correct form of infinitive of the verb in brackets with the appropriate modal verb.
1. I saw a ghost last night. – You __________ (not to see) a ghost; there aren’t any ghosts. You ___________ (to dream) it.
2. As I was standing in the hall your dog bit me. – It _____________ (not to be) my dog; he was with me all day. It ___________ (to be) my brother’s dog.
3. I __________ (to do) it. It was my duty, but I didn’t do it.
4. He ___________ (not to catch) the 9.20 train because he didn’t leave home till 9.25.
5. You ___________ (to repeat) it. It was not necessary.
6. Who gave you my address? – I don’t remember, it __________ (to be) Tom. – It __________ (not to be) Tom; he doesn’t know it.
7. You ______________ (to buy) flowers, we have plenty in the garden. But thank you, anyway.
8. This picture may be a fake; on the other hand, it ______________ (to be) painted by one of the Dutch masters.
9. I said that I couldn’t find my pen and he said perhaps somebody ____________ (to borrow) it.
TASK 66. Paraphrase the sentences below using (if possible) one of the following constructions:
a) Complex Object; b) Complex Subject; c) For-to-Infinitive Construction
1. He left the door open so that Molly could see him.
2. I felt that somebody touched me lightly on the shoulder.
3. It was supposed that Willy’s brother lived in Alaska.
4. He heard that someone called his name.
5. His knowledge of the subject was so good that he could answer the questions
without any preparation.
6. We saw that they didn’t understand our courageous plans.
7. It was unlikely that the girl would be a success.
8. I saw that the boy handed the newspaper to the man.
9. It appeared that he talked to people long dead by now.
10. They heard how a woman uttered a little exclamation.
11. It is important that you should get the part of Hamlet.
12. I should like to see how he could say it to my face.
13. It was not seen how the man left the place.
14. It was expected that Billy would come to New York two days later.
15. He stepped aside so that I could pass.
16. I shall bring you a play that you may stage.
17. We didn’t expect that he would return so soon.
18. It was important that Alex should be present at the rehearsals.
19. Have you heard that Ann got married last week?
20. He waited until she spoke.
21. I watched how my friend made her way through the crowd.
22. He thought that he was fit for the job.
23. Jack noticed that Mr. Foster looked at the girl suspiciously.
24. He hated it when people argued about trifles.
25. This is a book you should read.
26. It was certain that the boss would fire him.
27. It is time that you should go, Tom.
28. I was sure that he would not give me a hand.
29. There was nobody Helen could speak to.
30. It happened that I saw David at the age of 84.
31. Mary spoke loudly enough so that everyone should hear.
32. It turned out that he became a failure.
33. Sometimes it was heard that he talked to himself.
34. I will get two tickets so that you and your friend could see the performance.
Помощь в ✍️ написании работы
Поиск по сайту: