2. Match the words and expressions (a) with their definition (b):
1. a personal computer
2. a laptop
4.vast quantities of information
5. great precision
6. to yield different results
7. analogue computers
a. computers producing analogues or parallels of the process to be described or the problems to be solved
b. a compact portable computer working on built-in batteries
c. integrated circuit
d. a lot of information
e. a microcomputer or a home computer
f. to perform, to give different results
g. great accuracy
3. Read and translate the text ‘Today’s Astonishing Computers’ p. 234-235. What new things have you learnt about using bionics as a guide in designing electronic circuits?
4. А few explanations to the text:
…each being significantly better than the one before-причём .каждый из них значительно лучше предыдущего
… to perform much broader range of functions- выполнять гораздо больший диапазон функций
…as its name implies- как и предполагает само название
… the information fed into them-информация , загруженная в них
… computer makers see no end to the things they would like to accomplish- производители компьютеров не видят границ тому, что они хотели бы осуществить
5. With the help of the text prove:
1. New computing equipment is constantly developing.
2. A computer can perform a lot of functions.
3. Analogue and digital computers work differently.
4. Computer makers see no end to the things they would like to accomplish.
6. Read and translate the text ‘Computers’. What new things have you learnt about the history of developing of computers?
7. Give a definition to the following notions:
A computer, a personal computer, a laptop, home management, computer literacy studies, miniaturization, standardization , a voiced controlled system , an icon.
8. What are these dates famous for in the history of developing of a computer?
1959, 1971, 1974, 1981, the mid-1980?
9. Add 2-3 sentences to each item of the plan below to get a summary of the information you have read:
1. What is a computer?
2. Two main types of computing equipment.
3. Personal computers.
4. Functions a computer can perform.
5. From the history of computer development.
Give a more detailed story on one of the items of task 9, consisting of 7-10 sentences.
11. Sum up all the given information and speak on the theme ‘Computers and their history’.
Computer is an electronic device that can receive a program ( a set of instructions) and then carry out this program by calculating numerical information.
The modern world of high technology is possible manly due to the development of the computer. Computers have opened up a new era in manufacturing by means of automation, and they have enhanced modern communication systems.