A lot of people feel that pollution has become one of the biggest problems in the world today. People do a lot of things to harm the environment. But still, people can do a lot to become friendly to the environment.
Pure drinking water has already become a problem in many parts of the world.
- We can save water. For example, we can save water from our baths and use it for the garden. This would help to save many litres of water every day, especially in summer.
- We can stop losing water because of leaking pipes. Many cities have successfully saved water by repairing pipes.
We pollute the water and the ground with toxic waste that comes from factories and with acid rain which kills trees, fish and animals.
- Governments can help by passing laws to stop factories from wasting and polluting water. Factories should recycle water and stop pouring chemicals into our lakes and rivers.
- We can say ”No” to plastic bags in shops, and take our own shopping bags.
We pollute the air with cars and factories: gas fumes come from cars and smoke comes from factory chimneys.
- We could use our cars less and walk, cycle or use public transport more, whenever we ca,
- We can also use the sort of petrol which keeps the air cleaner, that is the unleaded petrol
- Factories could clean their smoke.
We poison the environment, using chemicals to spray fields and gardens to kill insects and weeds, or using detergents.
We should only buy washing-up liquid and washing powder that do not harmthe environment.
The main reason for pollution is waste – that is things which we use at home and then throw away.
- We should throw things away but collect different kinds of waste: bottles, cans, paper, rags, and take them to places where they can be recycled.
- We can reduce waste by re-using things, for example, we can write notes on the backs of old papers, letters, cards, etc., GIVE THINGS AWAY – DON’T THROW THEM AWAY!
- DON’T WASTE food, water, energy, materials. Use everything sensibly and carefully.
Forests are part of our environment. By cutting down trees we harm the environment. When the forest is destroyed, it isn’t only the trees that are lost, the homes of millions of animals and plants are destroyed too. Many kinds of species are in danger.
We can help by re-using paper when it is possible.
Buy only recycled paper products, that is, buy products with the “Recycled” sign on it. They are a bit more expensive and not as white, but you help your planet by doing this. Encourage other people to buy only recycled paper!
Have you ever planted a tree?
Educate other people about the danger of forest fires.